Hanoi Streets 1985-2015: In the Years of Forgetting
Super Savings Item! Save 33% on the Hanoi Streets 1985-2015: In the Years of Forgetting by Images Publishing Dist Ac at Hanoi PE. Hurry! Limited time offer. Offer valid only while supplies last. • Close to 200 beautiful portraits and landscape photographs documenting Hanoi's transformation from 1985 to 2015• Visually compelling record of
• Close to 200 beautiful portraits and landscape photographs documenting Hanoi's transformation from 1985 to 2015
• Visually compelling record of a city's post-war evolution over the course of three decades, well before the 'tourist boom' and a glimpse into how a city has become modernized
• Intimate and candid portraits of people in their home settings, street scenes, urban architecture, and the city's surrounding countryside
• One of very few Western photographers to gain access to post-war North Vietnam
• Detailed captions provide a strong sense of place and context, reflecting historical references and evocative changes to the landscape; a complete study over time Documentary photographer William E. Crawford spent three decades documenting Vietnam, and in particular Hanoi, its people and the surrounding countryside. As one of the very first Western photographers to work in post-war North Vietnam, Crawford was drawn back to the country numerous times at regular intervals between 1985 and 2015 to record this fascinating country's culture, people, and society with beautiful, compelling and intimate photographs, concentrating on colonial and indigenous architecture, urban details, portraits, and landscapes.
In 1986, the Vietnam's Communist leadership began to shift from a Soviet-style central planning model toward free-market economic reforms. As a result, Hanoi has been transformed over the last three decades, becoming an example of how traditional Asian and developing cities have often been torn down or allowed to crumble - only to re-emerge in a 'modernized' form.
Unlike photo-journalism, which is interested in the theatre of the moment, Crawford's evocative and powerful photography chronicles life throughout Hanoi and its surroundings over the course of the last three decades. Filled with full-color photographs and informative essays on his experiences and the people he encountered, Crawford's work - showcased in this beautifully presented volume - provides a unique visual catalogue of the evolution of a city and its inhabitants, and particularly the complex historical area known as The 36 Streets.
|Manufacturer:||Images Publishing Dist Ac|
|Publisher:||Images Publishing Dist Ac|
|Studio:||Images Publishing Dist Ac|
|Item Size:||1.09 x 11.11 x 11.11 inches|
|Package Weight:||4.14 pounds|
|Package Size:||11.02 x 1.1 x 1.1 inches|
Have questions about this item, or would like to inquire about a custom or bulk order?
If you have any questions about this product by Images Publishing Dist Ac, contact us by completing and submitting the form below. If you are looking for a specif part number, please include it with your message.
Related Best Sellers
By Osprey Publishing
ean: 9781472827531, isbn: 1472827538,
Fully illustrated with stunning full color artwork, this is the fascinating story of arguably the world's first "modern" air campaign. Following the failure of Rolling Thunder US aircraft were now armed with new technologies such as new laser-guided ...
By Outskirts Press
ean: 9781478784456, isbn: 1478784458,
In 1971, as the Vietnam War was winding down for US troops, Lieutenant Stanley was 24 years old and in charge of soldiers even younger than he. Leadership, courage, and presence of mind under combat conditions were paramount. Stanley was thrust into ...
By Brand: Greenhill Books
sku: VI-1853673269, ean: 9781853673269, isbn: 1853673269,
Illustrated throughout, this addition to the G.I. Series shows what the 'Grunts' actually wore in the field and how Army regulations were adapted to meet the needs of the men in the atrocious conditions of warfare in Vietnam. Rare images of the infan...
sku: 1001309507, ean: 9780060923440, isbn: 006092344X,
Recounts the inside story of the building of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, and includes the names of the 58,000 Americans who lost their lives in Southeast Asia...
ean: 9781466930063, isbn: 1466930063,
By Brand: Umbrage Editions
ean: 9781884167614, isbn: 1884167616,
“The people saw combat from up close and are direct in speaking about it, making the accounts as powerful as they can be.”—Chicago Tribune No thinking person during the Vietnam War era survived unscathed. Those memories are now revisited as w...
mpn: Ill., ean: 9780471146896, isbn: 0471146897,
Even the Women Must Fight""Karen Turner and Phan Thanh Hao have brought scholarship and compassion to a long-neglected aspect of the Vietnam War--the contributions of Vietnamese women to the independence struggle of their nation and the terrible pric...
By Squadron/Signal Publications
mpn: SQ0897471512U2, ean: 9780897471510, isbn: 0897471512,
US Army infantry “Grunts” slugging it out in a vicious, no-quarter guerrilla war waged in the hot steamy jungles of Vietnam. Includes an overview of operations in Vietnam from the first US involvement to the final US withdrawal in 1975. Also cove...
By Arcadia Publishing
mpn: Illustrated, ean: 9780738553412, isbn: 0738553417,
The Vietnam War era (1961–1975), one of our country’s most turbulent periods, was also a time of change and social evolution. Seeded in the aftermath of World War II, the nation enjoyed a remarkable economic boom. Knoxville and East Tennessee sto...
By Brand: Advantage Publishers Group
sku: VI-1571452664, ean: 9781571452665, isbn: 1571452664,
Though three decades old, the legacy of the 10,000-day war between Vietnam and the United States stills resonates in both countries and for the millions on both sides whose lives were forever touched by the conflict. In defense of the Domino Theory, ...